A Check Up From the Neck Up: A 00s Quiz for Association Executives
Has your association...
- A marketing plan in writing, one that is shared with your whole
staff? If not, then how does you're total staff know what you want
- Increased business by 20%? If not, why? The economy is great. Your
members will write checks for value, be it conferences, education,
publications, products, and services they feel they need and will make
their life and job easier.
- Put on a distance learning event? If not, distance learning can
reach the majority of your membership that never attends your annual
meeting... plus make money.
- Gotten into the e-commerce business? If not, realize that an active
e-commerce web site is open for business 24 hours a day. Your local
shopping mall closes at 9:00 PM.
- Developed and maintain an interactive web site? If not, you're
keeping your members from frequent visits for the latest industry news and
developments: how their dues are working for them.
- Conducted a focus group of your members, exhibitors, and sponsors
to identify new directions, challenges, and concerns? If not, then how do
you know what's on the minds of your "best" customers?
- Rolled out at least two new value-added programs for your members? If
not, then what have you done new and creative lately? Auto, computer, and
electronics manufacturers add new bells and whistles every year. Why
- Is your member obsession impeccable? If not, then your members will
only remember the "hassle" rather than all of the wonderful things you've
done for them lately.
- A CTO, Chief Technical Officer, as part of your management team? If
not, who evaluates all of the software options out there, responds to the
daily hits on your web site, or makes your association
- Adopted a "dot com" mentality with a short decision-making cycle? Ask
yourself, where's the renegade, visionary, and innovation in you to make
your cash register ring?
||You're innovative, creative, and appear to continually reinvent
what you're doing. You're running a top-notch organization and are a true
asset to your membership, board, and staff.
||You're doing something right. Push your envelope to be doing
||Time to be doing something new and different. "Same old-same old"
doesn't play well in the 00s.
||You're running an old geezer association. Stop thinking like Acme
Buggy Whip and more like AOL.